Escaping from Nothing | Chapter 2: The Man

He was panting and catching his breath as he walked towards the people, saying apologetically, “I am so sorry. The traffic, I…”

The director cut him off, “Just get changed and get in position.”

He immediately ran to the changing room and came back quickly, modelling for the shoot.

He was the lion for the shoot. The makeup artist quickly stood up to put on his makeup as she wiped the sweat off his face.

“You are so screwed,” I saw her lips moving and whispering to him.

“I am sorry,” he said back.

I could not take my eyes off him. But then, he was probably too rushed and flushed to notice a girl sitting in a dark corner next to a bright light.

He then joined the other models for the shoot. He did not seem as bored as the other models. Maybe because he was late, he wanted to make up for it.

“Give me some energy, people!” The director screamed.

The models struggled a bit but continued to be in their slightly annoyed mood. The man who arrived late, tried his best to impress the director.

He was under the light while I hid behind it.

My supervisor came over and knocked on my head. I immediately stood up.

“They are going to change positions soon,” he said, angrily, then murmured to himself to express his annoyance towards the whole situation.

I hurriedly went to get the equipment. I almost tripped over the cables for the lights, but I got back on my feet.

“Damn it,” I murmured to myself.

One of the models noticed me and looked at me with her pitiful eyes. Then she immediately looked back at the camera before the director noticed it.

I smiled, to her or myself, and walked towards the light to move it under my supervisor and the director’s directions.

“A little bit over there… move it a bit over. Yes! No, a little bit to the other side… Damn you, are you new?” The director yelled, irritated.

My supervisor laughed, “You are very much correct. She has only been working here for three months or so now, so yes she is kind of new.”

The director snared at me, “She should know better. Now move over there, just a bit. Okay, stop. That should be fine. Now go away.”

He must be annoyed due to lack of enthusiasm from the models, let alone a clumsy lighting trainee.

My supervisor stared at me and I gave a nervous smile. He sighed and looked away.

I moved back to my dark corner, as my supervisor came over to me.

“You know, I would have fired you long time ago because of your clumsiness. But well, like what they say, you have potential in you that can be discovered.”

I slowly blinked, questioning his intention for telling me this.

“You are very punctual, which is great for someone who works in this industry. You never complain about hard work, even though you might be struggling.” He explained. “In time, you will get used to it.”

I nodded and smiled. He gave me a tight smile and walked away.

I was a bit overwhelmed. I looked up and saw the guy who was late looking into the camera.

I sighed.

He would probably never notice me, but I will always notice him, and remember him.

He was the man who appeared in my dream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“IF you are late again next time, you are OUT,” the director scolded the man. The man looked guilty and apologetic.

“You hear me?” The director shouted, hearing no answer from the sorry man.

I felt bad for him.

“Yes, sir,” he said, finally.

“Alright, now go,” the director sighed, waving him away.

I was packing away the lighting equipment and helping my supervisor clean the studio. The crew for the circus themed shoot hired and booked our studio, so I only needed to pack the equipment away, instead of carrying the equipment from another venue back here.

I looked at the man walking towards the changing room. The other models all changed and leave, only one left behind, probably waiting for him.

Kael packed away his camera and tripod, then walked towards me. The man occupied so much of my attention, that I did not realise I stopped everything I did, just to look at him walking towards his changing room.

“Daryl!” Kael called my name.

I shuddered a bit from him calling me, pulling me out of my deep thought.

“Oh, I am sorry, I will pack them away as quickly as I can,” I quickly said, just so I did not get in more trouble for not being attentive.

“No, it is alright. You are probably just in deep thoughts. You have been staring at something, or maybe someone for quite a while, you know?” Kael teased.

I smiled, feeling my face, probably, turning rose red.

Kael smiled. Damn, he has such a great smile. How did he not already have a bunch of girls running behind him demanding his attention? Maybe most of the single girls got someone even better on their minds?

I looked at Kael walking away, as he suddenly turned his head around, catching me looking at him. His eyes were warm, and I had no intention of looking away. I smiled.

He then turned back around and resumed walking out of the studio. I then saw the model who stayed behind looking at her watch anxiously, then hurried out of the studio.

I packed up everything and soon saw the man walking out of the changing room.

It took him long in the changing room. He must have spent quite a while removing his makeup.

He walked out in a clean suit with bags in hand. I did not notice his bags when he entered the studio. His face took over my full attention.

“I am sorry for taking so long,” he smiled apologetically.

“It is alright. We do not close until everyone is gone. I close the studio. I can wait. I don’t have much to do,” I spoke in shattered sentences that probably did not make coherent sense.

“Okay, anyways. I am going to go now.” He smiled.

He hurried out of the studio before I shouted, too loudly, behind him.

“What is your name?”

He stopped, probably shocked and turned around to look at me. He said loudly and clearly, in his smooth voice, “Niann. Niann Mikel, if you want to know my last name as well.”

I felt my lips go dry, “I just asked for recording purposes. Have a nice day!”

He looked puzzled, tilting his head to one side, then smiled and hurried out.

I murmured to myself, “Have a nice day. The day is already over, idiot.” I knocked myself on the head.

I then walked out slowly, turning off the lights in the studio and looked over the empty lit space before I switched off each light. Soon, I was staring into darkness.

I should probably go get myself a drink or two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©Yolanda Yip (Wintsarye)

Comments