Things Weren't Meant to Turn Out Like This

Things got a bit out of hand, I’ll admit.

It was a night with a crescent moon up high. There were 11 roses on that hedge, as I counted with excitement. I took out my hedge shears, when Ella scared me from the back.

“BOO!”

“Woah! Ella! I am holding sharp scissors!”

Ella noticed them, “Oh no! I am sorry! I didn’t see that!”

“It is alright,” I ushered Ella away from me and left the shears under the hedge.

“Do you reckon it will be safe here?” Ella asked.

“Yeah, and I’ll have to trim the hedge later anyways,” I said, and followed Ella back inside the house.

While we were having dinner, I saw a shadow in the corner of my eye, near the rose hedge.

“What was that?”

“Probably a spider on the window sill,” Ella said.

“What?” I am terrified of spiders.

“I am sure that web is abandoned, Sylvie. Ella, quit scaring her, she is your older sister,” my mum said. Ella stuck out her tongue at me.

“I swear there was someone outside the window,” I shivered.

Mum opened the door and looked outside.

“There is no one, Sylvie. Don’t worry, they can’t get in,” she locked the door behind her.

I kept looking and the shadow didn’t reappear.

My mum started to clean up, and I went outside.

Suddenly, I noticed something, and shivered in fear.

“ELLA!”

Ella ran next to me.

All the roses were gone, and the shears disappeared.

“Oh no, no, no, no,” Ella shook her head in disbelief.

“Mum is going to kill us,” I said.

“Not if we keep quiet about this,” Ella said, zipping her mouth. “Plus, I am not the one who left the shears out.”

“We were both supposed to look after it.”

“Meh, Syl…”

Suddenly a shadow shuffled nearby and both of us froze.

“Did you see that?” Ella whispered.

“Yes.”

I picked up a rock and slowly moved Ella towards my back. We backed into our house when the shadow moved closer and faster. I screamed, threw the rock forwards, ran inside the house and immediately shut the door.

“What’s going on?” Mum asked with confusion.

“Someone…outside…” I said, panting, as someone started to knock on the door.

“DON’T OPEN IT! HE GOT THE SHEARS!” Ella yelled.

“It’s me! Open the door!” A familiar voice appeared.

“Dad?” I asked.

Mum opened the door to dad’s bleeding forehead, and a bouquet of 11 roses in his hands.

“I was going to surprise you guys, but I guess I was too much of a surprise.”

“Dad!” Ella ran to dad and I was still in shock.

“I’m sorry…” I said.

“It is okay. And don’t worry, I put the shears back in the shed,” Dad smiled as mum helped him in. Dad shook my hand and gave me a hug.

As we went to sleep, Ella and I recounted the events.

“Wow, that was…intense.”

“Yeah…it was one of those nights.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©Yolanda Yip (Wintsarye)

Comments