Escaping from Nothing | Chapter 4: Another Day

To be honest, I never really knew our daily schedule.

I mean, I did arrange the time slots and venues for us to go to, and I was almost the secretary for my supervisor. But I could never remember what we have on the day, until my calendar reminds me, and I have to remind myself and my supervisor.

We were never late for events. Maybe me being picky about punctuality made me a considerable trainee. Well, that is according to my supervisor.

We loaded the equipment onto the track and my supervisor started to drive there. Our company is small but respectable, and our reputation is overall pretty good.

We arrived at the venue, which was an outdoor area. I unloaded the truck by myself and my supervisor went through to check the venue’s lighting to see what we need.

“Daryl, I think we only need these ones. You can put the rest back,” he said, pointing and looking at me.

I moaned a bit and put the rest back in the truck.

My supervisor walked to the shooting area. I carried the lights one by one behind him and helped him set them up, as he talked to the organiser and photographer for the shoot.

Kael is our company’s photographer, but he is not always needed for shoots. This time we were working with our customer’s own photographer.

“You are professional, and I guess I will just leave you to your job. I don’t really mind or know how you do it, so just do it the way you want and make sure all the models’ faces look good,” the organiser said to us.

It was great to have an easy-going customer. It made our work so much easier and our ears much less painful.

I walked around the area. It was like an outdoor wedding venue, with greenery at the background. The area we were standing on was kind of like an old abandoned basketball court, without the basketball racks. I started to situate the lighting stands and my supervisor came over to me.

“They said they wanted to shoot near the green areas, not here,” he said.

I could hear the annoyance in his tone. He was mildly annoyed for the fact that we had to put our lighting equipment on the grassland, which was slightly damp from the rain last night.

I smiled and nodded. He smiled back, maybe feeling apologetic towards me?

The first time I ever got told off by him was when I started my first week. I was not sure about the usage of each light and the way to securely position them. One almost toppled over because it was not screw in tightly enough.

“Are you stupid or are you an idiot? You must secure it like this! This equipment is very expensive and if you get one scratched, even selling your life won’t be able to pay it off!” My supervisor yelled at me at the time.

I immediately did what he said and swallowed every word. I did not say a thing or complained. I just did my job, wiped away my involuntarily falling tears, and tried to fix it.

Maybe my supervisor saw me, or maybe he did not and just feel sympathetic towards a newbie like me. Either way, he did not get that impatient and angry since then, as he taught me skills he can teach slowly. I still had to carry all the equipment by myself, but I was sure it was part of the learning process.

One time, one of the directors yelled at me because of something irrational and I felt very upset and misjudged. I was positioning the lights, as he told me to go get him coffee. I said I was just in charge of the lighting and he started yelling at me. I swallowed it all up, did not say a word after that, and made him coffee. My supervisor saw that happen and told the director I was part of his crew and not people who worked around there. The director looked like he realised his mistake and misbehaviour, but never apologized.

Back at the basketball court venue, my supervisor was looking at me as he directed the lighting positions to see which ones worked best for the shoot. I looked at him and smiled, and he smiled back with a small lift in the corner of his lips. Then, he stopped and continued working.

I am sure he does care about me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We drove back from the venue, exhausted and had a fair amount of mud on the tripods of the lighting equipment.

I looked at my wristwatch. It was nearly 6pm, and I was exhausted.

We arrived at the studio, cleaned and packed the equipment away. The studio was quiet. The whole building was quiet. Most of the people were gone.


After that, I said goodbye to my supervisor, left the building, and rushed home to fall asleep on my bed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©Yolanda Yip (Wintsarye)

Comments