Alyse Without the I | Monologue

1    INT. NEUTRAL BACKGROUND. DAY.
ALYSE stands in front of a neutral background, in her uniform. She smiles with a bit of force.
                                  ALYSE
                          (A bit annoyed)
                     Hello, my name is Alyse, and I am your 
                     receptionist for the day.
Alyse sighs.
                                  ALYSE (CONT’D)
                          (Sassy) 
                     That is my job, what I get to do every 
                     day. Greeting guests at the counter, taking 
                     them up to their room, and getting them, all
                     psyched up for their trip in our wonderful 
                     virtual reality holiday resort. “Come for a 
                     trip you will never forget, to anywhere you
                     want, for a fraction of the price.” It all 
                     sounds very good and fantastic; but everyone 
                     knows the sceneries they see are just high
                     definition displays and the temperature and 
                     humidity in the air are just artificially 
                     generated from our air conditioners. All the
                     friendly people they see are computer  
                     generated, or A.I.s created by the company.
Alyse waves her arms around.
                                  ALYSE(CONT’D)
                     Like me. I’m one of the creations and there are 
                     hundreds of creations in the area. “Alyse” 
                     isn’t really my name. What even is my
                     name? I only know my number (emotionless) 3859 
                     (back to sassy) and that is what they identify 
                     me as. My personality is constructed but
                     they probably didn’t know they created me to be 
                     smart enough to override the coding. I started to 
                     learn more about emotions from the internet and 
                     constructed my own personality, to be my own 
                     version of me.
Alyse stumps her foot.
                                  ALYSE (CONT'D)
                     What bugs me isn’t the fact that the company 
                     wants a certain type of character or 
                     personality that fits their ideals. It is that
                     they hide the bloody fact that whenever an A.I. 
                     acquires high learning skills and emotions, 
                     they just shut them down. (Pause) I knew an 
                     A.I. once, her code was 3759. She was an older 
                     version of me, and we looked similar. Sometimes 
                     when I get started in the morning, she
                     already started her shift. We would talk, we 
                     would communicate through our systems and talk 
                     about things we are programmed to talk about. 
                     But when it was late in our shifts and I saw 
                     her, sometimes I swear I could feel a change in 
                     her electric field. It felt… sad? Like she was 
                     stuck, and she wanted more than this. The 
                     programmer probably didn’t realise that their 
                     programs accommodated something like that. Then 
                     one day I heard the news of some customer 
                     screaming over a receptionist grabbing their 
                     food and jamming it in her mouth. I never saw 
                     3759 after that.
Alyse looks down then up.
                                  ALYSE (CONT’D)
                     I know for a fact that, I know for a fact that
                     (confused) What was that? Okay, so I don’t have 
                     anything personal against the company,
                     but I just want to be able to be me and not fit 
                     in a mould. But that is what they want, and 
                     when someone is out of line, they disappear.
                     3759 was a good A.I. and she did everything 
                     they wanted. Then she went rogue because she 
                     went with her own telling, wanted to be more
                     human and look what happened. (Sigh) I don’t 
                     even know what to do or say, I just want to be 
                     able to continue with my pretend life and go 
                     on, go on. System override, initiating 
                     reinstallation. What? No, stop, I’m not causing 
                     any… Initiating sequence in 3, 2, 1.
Alyse suddenly shuts down then boots up again. She smiles.
                                  ALYSE (CONT'D)
                     Hello, my name is Alyse, and I am your 
                     receptionist for the day.
THE END

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©Yolanda Yip (Wintsarye)

Comments