Escaping from Nothing | Chapter 8: Can I See You Again?

Everyone started to pack their things away and called it a day, even though it was no longer day time.

It was already 00:36am and I was no longer as awake as I wanted to be. I walked around pushing and pulling the heavy lighting equipment back into their storage.

Kael looked exhausted and so was everyone.

The director was yawning and yelling at the models whilst saying ‘good job’ and told them they could leave after they changed. Then he left the set after saying thank you to my supervisor. My supervisor nodded and waved at him stiffly.

My supervisor walked towards me as I moved around the stuff, put their props to the side, and cleaned up the studio.

“Thank you, Daryl, you are great today. You can leave after everyone is gone,” He smiled, finally easing up.

I smiled back at him. My supervisor patted me stiffly on my shoulder, then left the studio.

I was always the one who had to stay behind to close down the studio. Kael had already gone somewhere, probably to fetch his good night sleep. He might still be asleep when he took my supervisor’s call.

I saw the girl who waited outside the changing room, possibly for Niann last time, now waiting outside the changing room as well. Then I saw the girl who looked at me pitifully last time the director scolded me, coming elegantly out of the changing room.

She smiled at the girl waiting outside and had a small talk with her. She then walked away from her, and towards the exit, where I was standing by.

The girl looked at me, smiled, and stopped in front of me when she reached me.

“I bet you had a long day. You should go and take some rest.”

I smiled and said, “It is alright. I have to stay behind and lock up the place.”

She smiled, looked at the ground a bit, then said, “We have never been officially introduced. Well, we met twice now. I am Kalicia.”

She reached her hand out for a handshake.

I smiled, shook her hand and said, “I guess we are not that important, so we are not introduced during shoots. I am Daryl.”

She smiled and coughed a bit, “Some people just like to think that they are more important than others. But I am sure every single person involved in the shoot is important and should be known.”

She then winked, and said, “I have to get going now. It is nice knowing you. Good luck on your work!”

I smiled and said, “You too. Goodbye!”

She waved and left.

I looked at the girl who was still waiting. Niann was coming out with his bare face, without makeup. His face was a bit red, maybe from removing the makeup too roughly. He walked out, saw the girl, and smiled. The girl smiled back at him.

Suddenly, his phone rang, as he frowned and took the call. The girl waiting for him looked disappointed. He smiled at her apologetically, as he waved at her and she walked out.

I smiled at her as she walked towards the exit, towards me. She looked at me, then at Niann, and stopped in front of me.

“I am sorry that you have to wait for everyone to leave before you can. Niann is the last one. Everyone else left. If you want him to leave the set soon, you can just signal him to go outside,” She said, aware of my yawning.

I smiled, embarrassed, “Oh, it is alright. I will tell him if he is taking too long.”

She smiled and left.

Niann talked on the phone, and I could sense his nervousness and anxiousness rising.

“No, I told the manager… I did the paperwork and told him… I said I was not going to be able to work tonight. Please give me a chance… No, I will not just quit, I never just not show up for work. I am pretty sure this time I handed him my report and told him I am not coming tonight… Listen… Please…”

He sounded very nervous. He was a bit angry at first, but then eased up and started begging.

I felt sorry for him. My feelings started to linger, as his every action moved me.

He then looked around, maybe seeking for comfort or just trying to distract himself from his phone call, and realised I was still in the studio with him.

He looked at me for a bit, but then resumed talking to the person over his phone, “Why can’t he understand? It is just one night, and I did all I can. Please don’t let him fire me.”

He sighed out a long breath, listening to the phone, and then depressingly said, “Okay. Thank you for your help. I know you did your best. Thank you.”

He hung up and walked towards me, smiling weakly.

Before he said anything, I said, “Are you okay?”

He wanted to nod, but then slowly shook his head, “No. My other job’s boss said he is going to fire me because I didn’t show up for work today.”

I looked at him, not in pity but in love and care, which I hope he could not read from my eyes.

“Well… I guess it is not for a bad cause. I am sure it will be alright… It happens,” I smiled.

He looked at me, smiling, but then looked away. “Yeah, I guess I better get going so you can lock this place up.”

I smiled and walked out with him after getting my bag, which was lying on the floor. We soon reached the door and I had to stay near the light switches to switch everything off.

“Can you wait for me?” I told him, out of impulsion.

He paused, probably shocked, but then smiled in confusion and nodded.

I turned off all the lights, closed and locked the studio door, and walked with him.

We walked in silence as we walked down to the streets. I did not know where I was walking to. Was I walking to the bus station, or to the cab station, or maybe to the railways?

Niann walked a bit, then stopped and smiled at me.

“I am going to get a cab. Where do you live?”

I told him my apartment’s street address, and he smiled.

“It is on the way to my place. We can share a cab then.”

I did not know how to react, but I guess he might be weirded out by me wanting to be with him. Did his inner protective instinct kick in? Did he think that he should protect this weird girl’s journey home because it was very late at night?

I looked at my watch and realised it has passed 1am.

It did not feel like it though. I suddenly got a surge of energy to stay awake.

I felt exhausted just now, but after walking with him, I was restless.

“Was that girl waiting for you your girlfriend?” I said, trying to break the silence as we waited for a cab. Then, I realised it was kind of an inappropriate question.

He shook his head lightly, “No. We just live nearby, and we work together in the same modelling company.”

I smiled, trying to conceal my relief.

“Well, she seems to care a lot about you,” I said quietly.

“Yeah, we spend a fair amount of time together. We are pretty close I would say,” He smiled politely.

I looked at him, trying to say something that could either end this talk or extend it.

“So…”

“Yes, I am single. I guess that answers your next question?” He smiled, looking not irritated, but fascinated by my curiosity.

I felt embarrassed and I looked away from him. Then I looked down and sighed.

“I am sorry for sounding like an interrogator. That is not my intention at all.”

He laughed, “You sounded more like a commanding officer from the very first time you asked me a question.”

I tried to laugh or make a comeback, but then I looked up into his eyes and stopped altogether.

A cab came by and Niann waved for it to stop.

“Two stops please,” He told the driver our street addresses and instructed him to stop at my address first.

I put on my seat belt, then looked at him, smiling in embarrassment but also delighted that he stayed with me.

“Thank you for not treating me like I am some weirdo, and still talked to me even after witnessing my awkwardness,” I said, showing my overall gratitude, “Also, thank you for offering me a way back home at this hour.”

He laughed then smiled, “You are welcome.”

He then paused and looked at me, “What is your name after all? You asked for mine, but I never knew yours.”

I smiled, “You can just call me Daryl.”

He smiled, “Okay, Daryl.”

I recalled the dream where he called me ‘Daryl darling’. I shook my head at that thought.

He looked at me, a bit worried, “Are you okay?”

I smiled weakly, “Maybe just a bit tired.”

He smiled, “Your stop is soon so you shouldn’t sleep now.”

I smiled.

He then said, “So, how do you like your job? Looks like quite a bit of heavy work to me.”

I smiled, “I guess I will get used to it eventually. I enjoy working with lighting, learning and understanding the concepts behind it, so it is all good.”

He smiled, then sighed, “Well, at least you enjoy it.”

I smiled, “I guess compared to modelling, my job doesn’t seem much.”

He looked at me and tilted his head, “What makes you say that?”

I shrugged, “For modelling, you might have to keep your image a certain way and eat certain food to maintain your figure. You have to go through all those painful makeups and costume changings. If you do something wrong in front of the camera, it is obvious, as you are noticed easily under the spotlight. I work behind the light, so to some degree I get less attention, and don’t have to stress about it as much.”

He shrugged in return, “But I don’t have to do any heavy lifting or such. I just have to pose, get changed into the director’s desired costumes and do as I’m told.”

I smiled, “I do as I’m told too. I guess every job has its difficulties.”

He smiled, “So you specialize in lighting?”

I smiled and nodded.

“Well, I wish you all the best then.”

I smiled, “I wish you all the best too.”

We sat in silence and soon the cab arrived at my place. I took my wallet out to pay for my journey, but Niann waved to make me put it back. I put it away awkwardly and said thank you to him and the driver.

I got off the cab and before I closed the door, I looked at Niann and said, “Do you want to…”

Then I thought it would be inappropriate if I asked him out. One inappropriate question was already enough for one night.

“Never mind,” I smiled.

He smiled, not knowing what to say, and waved me goodbye.

I closed the cab’s door. The cab soon left for Niann’s place.

I sighed, looked at my feet, then looked at the sky and breathed in and out. I turned around to go up to my apartment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©Yolanda Yip (Wintsarye)

Comments