Escaping from Nothing | Chapter 5: Why are You Here?

I looked over to my left and saw Niann sleeping quietly next to me. He looked so peaceful and lovely, and I could not stop myself from touching him.

His skin was soft and glowing. He was a bit chubby, and a bit taller, judging by the length his legs compared to mine. His eyes fluttered a bit.

Then he opened them and looked at me under the soft sunlight.

“You are already awake?”

I nodded and felt a weight in my heart.

He looked at me and smiled.

“I can’t believe you are here,” I said, with a slight crack in my voice.

“Well, you brought it to yourself,” he said, smiling, without missing a beat.

The memory of my very first dream hit me hard, and I immediately sat up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat up on my bed and moved, so my back was against the cold wall.

Damn you, pathetic brain and pathetic subconscious.

I breathed in and out and thought to myself.

I might never see him again…

I shook my head to shake off the thought. I did not want to see him again. I did not want his image to get even more vivid in my brain. I did not want to have irrational thoughts about him, since I barely knew him, or really, did not know him at all.

I looked at the clock and kept track of the time. It was only 1am. I could still go back to sleep.

I was drowning in the darkness surrounding me.

What else could I do, except going back to sleep?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was running, running as fast as I could away from something behind me.

I was running in the woods, passing, escaping and dodging trees next to me. I was barefooted and I was running pointlessly forward, as I looked back.

Something dark, greyish and non-human-like, was moving in the shadows. I heard someone yell but I could not figure out what it was, or who it was.

I just kept running and I tripped over a root of a tree. I saw my bruised and maybe bleeding feet, but I could not feel any pain.

I saw the dark grey figure approach me.

I was horrified, trying to get back up on my feet, but something invisible was dragging me behind.

The dark grey figure moved closer and closer, and started to become a human form.

The human form dark grey shadow started to talk, with a black moving hole located at its mouth.

“Daryl, why do you do this to yourself?”

I cried, and screamed, but I could not form an actual word.

“You don’t have to do this. You really don’t have to.”

I moved backwards and hit my back against a tree.

“I will not harm you. You are harming yourself.”

I started to cry but the only thing I could say was, “No, no, no, no, no…”

The figure moved towards me and I started to feel the pain, more and more, coming from my bleeding feet.

“I brought it to myself,” I said, finally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in horror.

Bad dreams, nightmares, they all come at times you wish they do not.

I looked at the clock, naturally. It was already 7:29am, and the alarm will soon go off.

I sat up and stretched a bit. I looked straight ahead and waited until my alarm went off.

“Ring, ding, ding, ding”

I sat up, stopped the alarm and continued with my day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©Yolanda Yip (Wintsarye)

Comments